Sunday, June 13, 2010

Busy Busy Busy aka Where does the time go?

I haven't posted in 2 weeks. :(
I keep meaning to, but there always seems to be something else to do. Even this is going to be a pathetic attempt at an update, but I'll do my best.

Last weekend was a rarity in that every "Martin" cousin was together at once. They all spent the entire afternoon playing at the park in Rosebush during Kayla's graduation party. They all had an absolute blast. In fact, some of them had a little too much fun with both Xander and Dru throwing up from go around too many times on the merry-go-round. Dru was extremely proud of this accomplishment and made sure that everyone, even strangers, knew that he threw up all over the merry-go-round.


I got a lot of great photos of each of them and put together a little collage. From left to right, top to bottom: Xander Martin, Brianna Martin, Rachel Martin, Jack Martin, Dru VanEpps, Jacob Van Epps, Ellie Beltnick and Jaden Beltnick.


Jack's favorite thing to do at playgrounds is definitely go down the slides. It's funny to watch him because since slides are now plastic and Jack has so much hair, the static electricity makes it stand on end.


Today Jack got even more cousin fun when we went to Marion for Jacob's 5th birthday party. Jake and Dru have a power wheels police car and Jack loved going for rides with his cousins in it. He also spent much of his time throwing rocks into the pond with Dru. I wish I would have brought my camera because there were lots of cute moments shared between Dru and Jack. They really have many of the same mannerisms and at times looked so identical.  Jake got lots of Toy Story items much to Jack's delite. Jake's grandparents have bunnies so I used the opportunity to teach Jack a new animal. Now when you ask him what a bunny does he says "Hop! Hop!"

It's really amazing to think how quickly time flies by. Seeing Jack running around like one of the big kids and being able to keep up with his older cousins often astonishes me. There are times in my mind that he should still be just a little baby, unable to do the things that he can.  I admit that my heart beats a little faster as I see him follow his cousins up the stairs, or when he rides around in the police car, or when he goes down the "big" slides by himself. Silly as it is, however, during these times when I feel myself getting overly protective, I  remind myself of "Finding Nemo" (which we appropriately watched today) and how I can't prevent him from doing anything just because I'm not ready for it. Whenever Jack does these things, there are plenty of adults around, and I just have to remind myself that he needs to be able to feel a sense of independence, explore the world on his own, and experience new things. 

As some of you may know, I've made the leap into wedding photography. Yesterday was my first "real" job for a couple from Essexville. It went extremely well and I think they are going to be very satisfied with the end product. The whole process was really natural for me and I think this is the start of a very promising career for me. I have 7 more to go this summer. I'm hoping that I eventually can get to the point that I make enough supplemental income from my photography that I'd only have to work part time. I think that in a couple of years that is a feesable goal to attain. It definitely helps that Josh is so supportive of this endevour.


Aside from family and weddings (Josh and I attended a long time friend's wedding last weekend) I've been consumed with updating my resume', job searches in the Lansing area, writing cover letters, and looking at Lansing real estate. I know this move is going to come up so much faster than we anticipate so I'm trying very hard to remain on top of things. Hence the MIA from blogging. I'll be much more relaxed about the whole thing when I get a job.

And now, just because there was way too much text without a picture, here's Jack!

2 comments:

  1. I love your pictures! I know what you mean about kids growing up so fast. It is both amazing and hard to see at the same time.

    Best of luck with the photography business. What a great way to make a little more income. I would love to hire you to take some pictures of Ian before you move. Let me know if you will have time and what you charge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the decision to work for yourself! I started my business 2 1/2 years ago and have been working full-time for myself for just about a month, and it's been the best decision I could've made. It sounds like you're well on your way to being able to make things work!

    ReplyDelete