Friday, October 29, 2010

Potty training?

Josh and I have been trying to get Jack used to the idea of "going on the potty." It's not that he doesn't understand, he's just a very stubborn boy who is happy sitting in his own poop.
Yesterday at Meijer we passed the little boys underwear and he got really excited. He wanted the Buzz and Mickey underwear badly. I explained to him what underwear meant and that big boys wore underwear and that if I got them for him that meant he had to go on the potty. He excitedly agreed and I put them in the cart.
When we got home, he ripped the underwear out of the packages with excitement. I reminded him again that if he put them on, that meant that he had to pull them down to go on the potty. He grabbed his butt and made a pulling down motion and I said "Yep. That's right. Do you still want to wear them?" and he shouted "No!" threw the underwear at me and ran away.
Today when I got home from work I decided I wanted him to wear a pair for at least a little while so he could get used to how the feel. But lo and behold, I couldn't find them ANYWHERE. Josh finally found them in Jack's secret hiding place, behind the door in our closet. I got them out and asked Jack if he wanted to put them on and this time he said yes. I picked out a pair of Buzz undies and put them on. But Jack wanted a pair of "mouse" underwear on, too. I told him he couldn't wear two pairs on his butt, so he decided he'd wear the other pair on his head.



Jack's new favorite place to watch TV is in the ottoman. The only bad thing is he wants you to put the lid on while he's in it and he gets very upset with me because I won't do it.



On Wednesday, downtown Lansing had trick-or-treat on the square. I was nervous about how Jack would react to wearing his monkey costume so I kept telling him all day "When you put on your monkey costume, people will give you treats because you are so cute!" It worked, because he didn't put on much of a fuss when I put it on, and on our way downtown he only tried once to pull the head off and as soon as I reminded him that he'd get treats if he kept it on, he stopped.
He sure was a cute little monkey, and loved the whole experience. Every time someone put a new piece of candy in his bucket he'd stare into it, almost as if he were counting each piece to make sure he really did get another treat. I'm excited for real trick-or-treating on Sunday in Mt. Pleasant!

1 comment:

  1. Jack is so adorable! I love the pictures of him with the underwear on his head. We have also tried to get Ian to wear underwear in hopes he would get interested in going on the potty. No dice.

    If you have a chance while in Mt. Pleasant trick or treating stop by and I will have a special treat for Jack.

    ReplyDelete